There are hundreds of social media and social networking sites, and the number is growing exponentially.Faced with a long list of potential new media opportunities, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, blogs, which ones should you use?
Today, we zero in on some basic reasons you should give YouTube video marketing a try and show you how some local, Long Island small businesses are using video marketing as a powerful marketing strategy.
The list of strategic marketing reasons to have video online goes on and on, including having a 24/7 salesperson, personalizing your brand, and being able to convey a powerful 3/D marketing message through a very engaging medium that is not static such as a regular webpage. Plus, data shows that sites with video tend to convert more prospects to customers.
Are all of these supporting reasons to consider video marketing reason enough for Long Island businesses to invest in a campaign that includes YouTube?
Some research into local videos shows that while the web is certainly not saturated with Long Island videos there are a number of companies taking advantage. If you are thinking about jumping on the trend, here are a few ideas to help you stand out:
Make it Interesting
- Show how it’s done. A company video can show something customers can’t usually see, such as how a product is made or where ingredients come from. Reinwald’s Bakery in Huntington uploaded a video showing how they make one of their famous holiday treats, a gingerbread house.
- Tell a story. For service-oriented businesses, it can be more important to showcase your talent. Compelling personal narratives or quirky stories can favorably present your brand.
In a video showcasing Satur Farms on the North Fork of LI, the owner explains why she would leave a comfortable job as a wine distributor to manage her own farm.
- Make it short. A quick, fast-paced video is key for YouTube audience’s attention span. If possible, keep it to 3-5 minutes.
Make it Relevant
- Give new information. A potential customer who is not familiar with your company could benefit from facts about your location, social spaces, new products, or procedures. For example: The Long Island Marriot shows off its best rooms and conferences center, the Center Yacht Club in Center Moriches shows the specification of the docks, and the Eastern Long Island Hospital explains certain pain management procedures.
- Share an event. A great way to follow-up a successful event is to a short video. It’ll also prove useful when it’s time to publicize next year’s repeat event. Check out how the Long Island Car Show or how the Riverview 2008 Striped Bass Tournament is caught on video.
- Link to others. A video will get more exposure if it’s linked to a popular video. Find a useful How To video and link to share your company’s advice. (Just remember to give credit to the original).
But most important: have it fit your brand’s strategy. A YouTube video marketing campaign should serve the same purpose as any other marketing effort—it should first be a way to promote strategic interests like repositioning your brand, enhancing your marketing plan or reaching a new customer segment in a new way.
The last thought I’ll leave you with is the Long Island Rail Road’s foray into YouTube music video-making. Judge for yourself: LIRR “Gap Rap.”
Feel free to comment below to the Long Island marketing blog, contact our marketing consultants with your comments, or join up on Twitter @upsidebusiness. Special thanks to Kyra S. for her contributions, research and diligence.
Reference Terms: video marketing, long island video marketing, video storytelling, how to use video to promote your business, reasons to do video marketing, video marketing for the search engines, how to increase visibility with video marketing, how video can promote your brand, video marketing tips, Long Island NY businesses doing video marketing.